Monday, November 29, 2010

UNDER THE NARRA TREE

I still remember it well-- it was a glorious June morning. The whole country celebrated Independence Day while my husband Dan and I, after committing the day in prayer, spent our holiday in search of our “promised land.”

After scouting around the whole morning, we were getting ready to go home when our friend beckoned us towards a lot she was selling… and there it stood -- a poor almost lifeless tree, dried up from years of people burning trash beside its trunk. It stood forlorn - not quite, but almost in the middle front part of a vacant lot which the Lord was to give us.

Five months later, as the engineer began to “concretize” what the architect had on paper, the Narra tree seemed a burden and needed to be cut. Also, it was unsightly and very much in the way of the planned driveway. However, it’s a NARRA tree and therefore we had to have a permit to cut it. After days of deliberation (for I loved the way the tree seemed to “hang on for dear life”), I believe the tree won when we decided to modify the house plans and SPARE the Narra tree!!

Three to four months ensued… different batches of workers came and went… there were masons and carpenters then painters and tilers… weeds were pulled out and rocks were taken out as the foundation of the house was laid. It was on a sunny February morning the following year when we noticed that we had an entirely “new” tree before us-- left “alone” and freed from the daily dose of burning trash, our tree quietly developed until it grew taller than the two storey house, it’s branches like arms that reached out towards the sky… full of leaves – lovely, lively, GREEN leaves!

We have since then moved into our Faith House and nary has a day gone by when I don’t bask at the beauty the tree has added to our home. Every time I sit under the Narra tree, I cannot help but thank the Lord for the “singing” creatures it shelters, for the breeze that I feel after having rustled the tree, for the shade during the heat of the day and even for the shelter it affords in heavy rains.

I was once like that Narra tree – DRY and spiritually uncomely: Romans 3:10, 23 say “There is none righteous, no, not one…For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.” I was a soul on the way to eternal fire!!

There is no place in heaven for a ghastly sinful creature as I, and on my own merit, I could not be spared. Ephesians 2:8, 9 declares “For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: not of works, lest any man should boast.”

But what a blessed relief, although “… the wages of sin is death... the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.” (Romans 6:23)

Years ago, through a neighborhood Bible Club, I learned of that great gift: “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” (John 3:16) I called on Him, confessed my sins and claimed his gift of salvation. Romans 10:13 assures “whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.” God spared my soul and Jesus came into my heart!

“I waited patiently for the Lord;
and He inclined unto me, and heard my cry.
He brought me up also Out of an horrible pit,
Out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock,
And established my goings.
And he hath put a new song in my mouth,
Even praise unto our God:
Many shall see it, and fear,
And shall trust in the Lord.”
Psalm 40:1-3

I have since that time like our Narra tree, flourished under God’s tender care… stubborn- I fall BUT yielded- I grow. I am not as “green and fruitful” as I want to be at times, yet the Lord in His loving kindness honors my little efforts (I Samuel 2:30)

“The Lord will perfect that which concerneth me:
Thy mercy, O Lord, endureth for ever:
Forsake not the works of thine own hands.”
Psalm 138:8

He is the Vine, I -- a mere branch, but as long as I abide in Him, I can through His strength bring forth fruit “for without Him, I can do nothing.” (John 15:5)

My dear FRIEND, I care for you deeply and God loves us more than any Narra tree! Christ addresses us today in Revelation 3:20 “Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: If any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.”

If you accept Christ into your heart today, you will be much better than our Narra tree. I know, for one day long ago - I DID! Won’t you accept His gift of salvation today?

“And he shall be like a tree
planted by the rivers of water,
That bringeth forth his fruit in his season;
His leaf also shall not wither;
And whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.”
Psalm 1:3

Ipb083006

To have a personal relationship with Christ, I simply followed His word…I recognized that I was a sinner and confessed it to Him. I thanked God for sending His Son to die on the cross for my sins and accepted the Lord Jesus Christ into my heart to be my Lord and Savior.


Since I got saved, the Lord has impressed upon me the importance of fellowshipping with other believers. Hebrews 10:23-25 instructs “Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; for he is faithful that promised; And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together…but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.”


I would like to invite you to come and worship with me sometime at


GOSPEL LIGHT BAPTIST CHURCH
23 Matahimik St.
Cor. V. Luna Extension near Kalayaan Ave.
Barangay Malaya, Diliman Quezon City


Church Services
Sunday School: 9AM
Sunday Morning Service: 10 AM
Evening Service: 6 PM
Wednesday Prayer Meeting: 7 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment