Friday, April 22, 2011

He Works All Things Together For My Good

Trust Him, Trust Him- it’s all that I can do
For He works all things together, He’s working it together,
He works all things together for my good!

The chorus of the song “He Works All Things Together For My Good” by Mina Oglesby kept ringing in my ear and so I began to sing it as I laid in my hospital bed last week, trusting in the Lord yet scared and in pain from a recurrence of my slipped disc. I forgot a few words so my sister Chi-Chi chimed in…

I may not know the way the road may lead me
I may not always see the things I should
But I can trust the God who knows my life from start to end-
And know He’s working all things for my good.

He did not say the road may be a smooth one
The friends I love and trust may turn away
(in this case, they had to go somewhere without me)
BUT I’VE A GOD WHO’S ALWAYS THERE AND MEETS MY EVERY NEED
He says ‘this too shall surely pass away!’

He did not say the road would be a smooth one
He did not promise sunshine and no rain
But peace and joy He gives to those who look beyond this life
And comfort through their tears of grief and pain.

So if your dreams have turned to dust and ashes
And you can’t do the things you wish you could
(my C.D.O. trip became something else)
Remember God is wiser far than any mortal man
(What if it happened on the plane? Or on the road trip to Bukidnon on Iligan?)
And He’s working things together for my good.

I wrote this account in my journal as I underwent treatment for my lower back problem that sent me reeling down to my knees in pain and fear. I was due to go out of town (to C.D.O. Cagayan De Oro) for a marathon provincial Rheumatic Fever and Rheumatic Heart Disease Symposia but wound up being in C.D.O. (Confined Dito Ospital) instead, I wrote that with a wry smile as I regained my sense of humor.

A call from Dr. Bebeth Suarez (a very kind response to my frantic text) and a text from Dr. Ric Agbayani (they both know my PMH -Past Medical History) provided a rough assessment and initial intervention. An anti-inflammatory and a muscle relaxant plus stat physical therapy administered by wonderful rehab staff (Easy and Tavs… subsequently by Kiel assisted by Irish and Louie) provided remarkable pain relief and eventually, improved mobility.

My brother Joey was literally my crutch throughout the day as I could hardly walk without tears. My poor hubby Dan, worried over me and pressing tasks at work, took over as soon as he could. They took turns “driving my wheelchair around.” Total dependence is a humbling thing and yet I am glad and thankful for their strength. Isn’t that wonderfully reminiscent of how God’s strength is made perfect in our weakness? God is so good to give panicky me a level headed spouse!

Thank you Des and Tes for all the leg work and Rose and Lik for manning the home front; and to the numerous texters, you know who you are, the effective prayer of the saints was truly felt!

Thank you for my TEAM members (Bernie, Gerry, Blandie, Net, Denise, Rachel, and Weng) who went on without me for the SYMPOSIA must go on!!! To the FELLOWS and PHC consultant and nursing staff (ang drama!!!) maraming salamat sa dalaw, kalinga at pagtulak ng wheelchair!

Proverbs 16:9 “A man's heart deviseth his way: but the LORD directeth his steps,” I was yet again reminded by the Lord! I like to rephrase that as follows “MAN DEVISETH HIS WAY BUT GOD HAS THE LAST SAY!”

Matthew 11:28-30 “ Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

My schedule the past few months has really been competing with the energizer bunny and so, I believe, God has allowed an enforced bed rest. And so I learn to accept, submit and commit and to rejoice and pray and give thanks!

1Thess. 5:16-18 “Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.”

A week has passed and the pain is greatly reduced and my mobility, largely improved. A testimony of God’s mercy (I do not tolerate pain well) and grace (recovery was faster than we hoped for and thought). Please continue to pray for my recovery and praise God with me, for not allowing me to be utterly cast down (Psalm 37) after my fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment